Wednesday, October 18, 2006

AM I BEING ABUSED?


HOW TO RECOGNIZE THE BEGINNINGS OF ABUSE?


IF YOU'RE NOT SURE YOU ARE BEING ABUSED, ANSWER YES OR NO TO THE FOLLOWING STATEMENTS:



  1. My partner pushes and shoves me

  2. My partner grabs/slaps me and pulls my hair

  3. My partner calls me names

  4. My partner makes me have sex when I don't want to

  5. My partner touches me in an inappropriate manner (unwanted touching, fondling, caressing)

  6. My partner uses verbal and non-verbal sexual expressions at me (inappropriate body language, gestures, suggestions, requests, and threats)

  7. My partner controls all the money

  8. My partner yells at me in an abusive manner

  9. My partner humiliates me in public or private by calling me names, put-downs, embarrassing me

  10. My partner prevents me from visiting my family and friends

  11. My partner threatens to take the children away if I leave

  12. My partner continually criticizes me

  13. My partner prevents me from going to work

  14. My partner threatens physical violence

  15. My partner uses violent behaviour (punches holes in the wall, breaks dishes or household furnishings)

  16. My partner throws objects at me

  17. My partner isolates me from the community and social gatherings

  18. My partner uses weapons or objects to apply force on me

  19. My partner keeps me from leaving the house

  20. My partner locks me out of the house

  21. My partner destroys things that belong to me

If you answered YES to even one of the above questions, you are being abused



HOW TO RECOGNIZE THE BEGINNINGS OF ABUSE



  • Your partner calls to check up on you several times a day, is overly possessive and extremely jealous.

  • Your partner follows you around.

  • Your partner loses interest in his/her own activities to become more and more involved with you.

  • Your partner attempts to isolate you from friends, both male and female.

  • Your partner discourages you from outside interests and activities you enjoy.

  • Your partner needs total control - he makes the decisions.

  • Your future is decided by your partner, although you don't agree.

  • Your partner can't settle differences with words.

  • Your partner uses alcohol or drugs as an excuse for violent behaviour.

If you or someone you know is being abused, contact us.


Call Collect at 250 996 8000 We can help.


Or call your local women shelter

No comments: