Wednesday, September 07, 2005

~ Catch – 22 Professionalisms Competencies ~

Last week life event was filled with excitement and maze. I went to Vancouver visiting my friends and during my visit I went bloghopping on my spare time. Usually I am not into leaving comments and among other things. If I would leave tag mostly just to say 'hello'. However, I got my attention to one particular blog, belong to a Public Servant’s Blog (everyone knows where she works) and I was concerned. It was just 4 paragraphs story and with that I am able to find the name of the patient, her daughter, her room number and which hospital she is staying.

Title: Last Night

The story goes ………….I held my tears in disbelief… I wouldn’t want to see myself like CARMEN when I get older. … Carmen said she missed her only daughter CAROL so much. That last time she saw Carol was when she brought her to the Rehabilitations Hospital about three years ago ………
……….. I saw an old lady in her mid-50’s passed by the Nurse Station around 7pm last night.
………. The old lady turned and finally wave and smiled at me…. She came out of the room 401 silently. Carmen must have fallen asleep.”


This information was given freely without hesitation or concern for the safety and knowledge of those individual. I did not waste time or effort to think. As an advocate of women and children’s right I have to do something. It can not be like this. I acted upon. I wrote my comments to the Public Servant blog about breaching of confidentiality. I was concern about the impact and the outcome for those people. My intention was to share a bit of legal information for her sake. Before long I got my self into a maze of vicious circle of professionals.

With my profession, I have signed oath of confidentially. I am not allowed to discuss any information to anyone without client release of information. I am not allowed to mention names when searching for assistance from outside agency. We used scenarios and general questions if a client does not want to be known. We are not allowed to use names or abbreviations. I am not allowed to acknowledge my client anywhere after I am done my job with her because of breach of confidentiality.


FYI

STANDARD OF PRACTICE AND COMPETENCIES FOR HEALH CARE PROVIDER

LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSE (for details click here)

STANDARD 1 – Responsibilities and accountability – A LPN maintains standards of nursing practice, professional conduct and safety in the practice setting.

STANDARD 2 – Knowledge – A LPN bases practice on knowledge derived from the study of nursing, health, and other sciences, and humanities.

STANDARD 3 – Application of Knowledge – LPN, identifies clients’ actual or potentials health, strength, and limitations, plans intervention, performs planned interventions and evaluates outcomes.

STANDARD 4 – Ethical and Legal Practice – LPN adheres to the ethical and legal obligations of the professions

STANDARD 5 – Provision of services to the public – LPN collaborates with clients and other member of the health care team in provision of health care services to the Public.
“Commits to the principle that the primary purpose of the professional nurse is to serve the Public”

STANDARD 6 – Self – Regulation – LPN, assumes responsibility for maintaining competence and fitness to practice. “Maintains mental, emotional, spiritual, and physical well-being".
According to Canadian Nurse Association (code of ethic for RN) - Confidentiality - Nurse safeguard information learned in the context of a professional relationship, and ensure it is shared outside the health care team only with the person's informed consent, or as may be legally required, or where the failure to disclose would cause significant harm.

It is the responsibility of individual professional to act professional and be accountable for their own action. Am I wrong to defending someone’s freedom? It is just my opinion and by opening my comments box I am acknowledging other people opinion and theories.

No comments: